Engineering Supervisor (Product Engineering)
- # of Openings
- Flex-N-Gate Advanced Product Development, LLC (Allen Park)
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 13th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Engineering Supervisor will be instrumental in developing new concepts for achieving customer objectives through the development phase.
The Engineering Supervisor will be responsible to provide leadership and direction within assigned engineering team. The Engineering Supervisor will be responsible for planning, scheduling and supervising the timely and quality work performance of the team.
- Supervise, mentor and coach engineers within assigned team
- Enforce product quality and requirements within the team
- Responsible for assisting in interviewing, hiring and training employees
- Directs, prioritizes, assigns and reviews assigned employees work; approves time off for payroll purposes; prepares and reviews employee performance evaluations
- Prepare engineering drawings, schematics and/ or prototypes based upon pre-defined product requirements
- Test physical and computerized drawings and prototypes for functionality, reliability and ease of manufacture
- Ensure all products meet or exceed applicable safety standards
- Research components, part suppliers and materials for suitability, durability and cost-effectiveness
- Prepare detailed product development reports at each stage of the development process
- Oversee the testing and analysis of materials
- Assist with preparations for launching new products
- Review packaging to improve processes and consolidate purchases
- Supervise and assist with site APQP activities
- Review product methods, layouts, and cycle times to look for improvements and verify documentation
- Attend internal and external tooling tryouts to assist with development of packaging and manufacturing methods
- Supervise the review of tooling design, fixture design, automation design, packaging, run rate, and PPAP
- Supervises the preparation of Process Flow Diagrams and PFMEA
- Troubleshoot product malfunctions/ failures to prevent future concerns
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts
- Responsible for maintaining ISO/ TS compliance within manufacturing
- Stay current with industry trends as well as product development methodologies
- Automotive lighting engineer with 7-10 years of supervisory experience in design
- Candidate to have prior program management or supervisory experience - 3-5 years
- An advanced degree is a plus.
- Ability to identify industry trends, and develop technologies to address those trends.
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing techniques
- Knowledge and execution experience of APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plans and Process Flow
- Proven ability to create and execute product development plans that have achieved the identified target
- Exceptional organizational skills with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques
- Professional/ mature demeanour under stressful situation
- Strong project management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates strong leadership, motivation, and supervisory qualities
- Must be proficient in Microsoft products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Project)
- Demonstrated problem solving skills in a work environment with focus on continuous improvement
- Maintain a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations, and the ability to develop recommendations accordingly
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.