Advanced Tooling Manager
- # of Openings
- Ventra Ionia Main LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Advance Tooling Manager will manage and coordinate tool improvement and change processes. The Advance Tooling Manager will be responsible for supervising the Tooling Engineers to ensure deadlines and standards are met. He or she will track appropriate tool related corrective actions to process owners and monitor updates. The Advance Tooling Manager will manage special projects, tool improvements and coordinate tool related manufacturing and quality issues, while promoting proactive efforts in cost reduction and continuous improvement programs. The Advance Tooling Manager will ensure the completion of each tooling project and evaluate its effectiveness. He or she will maintain up-to-date information on current tooling practices and procedures to ensure the effectiveness of the company’s manufacturing procedures. The Advance Tooling Manager will manage and coordinate prototype activities ensuring production intent processes are utilized while making components and assemblies. The Advance Tooling Manager will work with engineering to ensure the product design follows best practises within the plant’s abilities for manufacturing
- Supervise and manage Tooling Engineers
- Supervise and manage projects to make sure deadlines are met
- Supervise and manage projects to ensure standards are met
- Maintain health and safety standards
- Coordinate tool improvement and change processes
- Track appropriate tool related corrective actions to process owners and monitor updates.
- Manage special projects, tool improvements and coordinate tool related manufacturing and quality issues, while promoting proactive efforts in cost reduction and continuous improvement programs
- Ensure the completion of each tooling project and evaluate its effectiveness
- Maintain up-to-date information on current tooling practices and procedures to ensure the effectiveness of the company’s manufacturing procedures.
- Establish method to meet work schedules and coordinate work activates with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Review production scheduling, engineering specifications, orders, and related information to obtain knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, and activities
- Estimate production costs, cost saving methods, and the effects of product design changes on expenditures for management review, action, and control
- Draft and design layout of equipment, materials, and workspace to illustrate maximum efficiency using drafting tools and computer
- Confer with clients, vendors, staff, and management personnel regarding purchases, product and production specifications, manufacturing capabilities, or project status.
- Plan and establish sequence of operations to fabricate and assemble parts or products and to promote efficient utilization
- Study operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker function and responsibilities
- Recommend methods for improving utilization of personnel, material, and utilities
- Apply statistical methods and perform mathematic calculations to determine manufacturing processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Record or oversee recording of information to ensure accuracy of engineering drawing and documentation of production problems
- Complete production reports, purchase orders, and material, tool, and equipment lists
- Develop manufacturing methods, labour utilization standards, and cost analysis systems to promote efficient staff and facility utilization
- Coordinate and implement quality control objectives, activities, or procedures to resolve production problems, maximize product reliability, or minimize costs
- Evaluate precision and accuracy of production and testing equipment and engineering drawings to formulate corrective action plan
- Formulate sampling procedures and designs and develop forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
- Supervise and manage Tool Engineers during quoting process to ensure programs are delivered on budget.
- Supervise and manage Tool Engineers during check fixture design and build functions to ensure fixture meets part requirements, follows standards and meets budget.
- Continually add to best practises and implement into Tooling Standards
- Rewrite Tooling Standards as required to accurately reflect product, safety, and plant requirements.
- Licensed toolmaker or ten to fifteen years related experience, preferably in the automotive industry dealing with progressive dies and transfer tooling
- Ability to effectively make decisions and problem solve
- Familiarity with production system
- Must have analytical abilities
- Must be mechanically inclined
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Working knowledge of conflict resolution methods and able to effectively apply them
- Progressive and Transfer Die experience
- Ability to promote team involvement
- Ability to motivate people
- Must be a able to work individually and work as a team player
- CANDO attitude
- Able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weakness of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Good organizational, time management, and prioritizing skills
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
Job Reference #: 3036