- # of Openings
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The FNG Tooling Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the stamping tooling throughout the lifecycle of the program;
- Feasibility - ensuring that the design intent of the product will be achieved,
- Process – a high level of analytical ability, technical knowledge and experience to produce a part that meets specification, using the ranges of various materials
- Adhering to FNG standards
- Home line commissioning support.
The position is comprehensive and the successful candidate will be a proven and effective communicator. Organizational skills are mandatory, along with the ability to manage multiple programs simultaneously. Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals are required.
The Tooling Engineer will be accountable for preparing cost estimates of tooling changes for submission and able to manage the scope, cost, timing, resources and quality of said changes.
The candidate should be fluent with technology tools (CAD, Office, telecommunications) in order to provide technical expertise in the areas of product, material, process and quality.
The applicant will be able to travel frequently both domestically and abroad as required.
Proven working experience in the following areas is preferred:
- shop floor
- in press
- tool and die design
- formability analysis
- program management
- Understands, adheres to and practices safety guidelines in the production environment.
- Manages tooling for new jobs in accordance with FNG and customer specifications.
- Reviews tool designs submitted by tool sources and makes necessary recommendations to meet FNG standards and customer specifications to assure process capability.
- Ensures advanced programs adhere to customer specifications and established standards.
- Understands and interprets GD&T, providing guidance as needed and pertaining to process, capability and stamping productivity
- Understands, and provide technical guidance for tri-axis automation tooling as it pertains to stamping die design and transfer tooling.
- Understands FLD and formability analysis as it pertains to metal stamping.
- Responsible for the transfer of engineering data to supplier operations when necessary.
- Creates and maintains timelines for production tooling and engineering changes, primary tryouts at vendor sites, and final home line tryout and commissioning.
- Monitors progress of jobs being performed by tool sources and provides technical support and guidance.
- Follows up on tooling related to engineering changes or new builds and provides direction and assistance to vendors.
- Analyzes and implements an effective method to reduce steel progression
- Creates SOW for engineering changes and manages the tooling changes on existing jobs
- Solicits vendor quotes and helps select vendors on basis of cost, timing and previous work quality.
- Collaborates on tooling with vendors from different cultures across the globe.
- Responsible for verification of all information submitted by vendors
- Provides support on tooling technical and productionizing and/or deficiency issues to all FNG stamping plants.
- Ensures that all information and communications are documented and relayed throughout the appropriate channels.
- Identifies and qualifies all potential program risks, identifies program unknowns and establishes contingency plans to keep the program progressing.
- Attends APQP meetings to support successful launch of new programs.
- Attends new tooling reviews with corporate tooling design team.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years of experience directly related to Tool and Die.
- Engineering Degree, College Diploma and/or Journeyman Status,
- Knowledge of manufacturing systems related to metal stampings.
- Technically inclined.
- Strong commitment to quality.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.