Tool Room Manager (Puebla, Mexico)
- # of Openings
Flex-N-Gate is a leading global manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals. We are currently searching for a qualified Tool Room Manager for our Puebla, Mexico location.
Scope of the Position
The Tool Room Manager oversees the tooling activities within the plant including the adherence to procedures and compliance with environmental requirements associated with processes, equipment, waste generation and permits. The Tool Room Manager is responsible for efficient and effective tool design and minimal production down time attributed to tooling problems. The Tool Room Manager will manage special projects, tool improvements and coordinate tool builds.
- Ensures all dies and fixtures are properly maintained with preventative maintenance and continuous improvement.
- Ensures the department provides quality products to internal customers.
- Ensures the quantity or volume of product or services will meet the needs of its internal customers.
- Creates and maintains a tool room budget on supplies, die repairs and fixtures.
- Ensures daily operations of the department are carried out in a cost-effective manner.
- Responsible for employees of the tool room department, conducting orientation with all new hires or transferred employees.
- Monitors performance and conducts performance evaluations as required.
- Generates corrective and preventive action plans as required.
- Supports communication of the importance of the EMS to employees in the area of responsibility.
- Develops work order system to document tool history.
- Supports LPA’s.
- Authorizes corrective and preventive actions in response to EMS non-conformances applicable to area of responsibility.
- Participates in incident investigations, where appropriate
- Assesses training needs and supports employee training, including communication of procedures and work practices to employees in area of responsibility.
- Communicates procedures and work practices.
- Complies with applicable environmental legal and other requirements.
- Supports development of objectives and targets.
- Ensures appropriate resources are available for the maintenance of the EMS in the area of responsibility.
- Works with design to ensure that manufacturing best practices and safety are integrated into design of all new production tools. Supports and maintains mold / die / tooling standards and specification manual.
- Obtains mold/die build cost quotes and awards business based on cost, timing and type of tool.
- Approves all preliminary and final steel layout drawings, water diagrams, and part layouts.
- Makes recommendations for repairs on all new tooling based on sample product runs. Validates that all recommended repairs have been completed based on sample product runs.
- Participates as insource lead. Collects information on tooling and capacity and facilitates transfer of tools from sub suppliers and competitors.
- Develops safe, robust processes on all new tooling that are capable of producing the highest quality possible and highest efficiency possible.
- Specifies new equipment requirements to support new programs and replace existing equipment.
- Works with equipment manufacturers to provide required training and assures equipment meets expectations.
- Facilitates problem solving for ongoing problems in regard to machinery and tooling.
- Works with sub suppliers to assure their processes are capable and repeatable to provide the highest quality product possible.
- Participates as staff member, ISO14001 / IATF16949 lead; involved with Hoshin project setup change over time reduction.
- Attends APQP meetings to support successful launch of new programs.
- Leads new tooling reviews with die buy off with corporate tooling design team.
- Maintains compliance to company policies and work rules, safety standards and good housekeeping practices.
- Reviews and evaluates direct report(s) for performance and recommends rate changes accordingly.
Bachelors in manufacturing or certified tool & die maker with new build experience
Minimum of fifteen years in similar tooling / tool room management position required.
Possess knowledge of pressroom equipment, general fabrication and machine rebuilding.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret professional / technical journals, financial reports and production reports.
Ability to respond effectively to the inquiries or complaints from vendors, customers or employees.
Fluent English and Spanish
Understanding of general plant/building maintenance
Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
Ability to effectively present information to top management and employees.
Must have strong organizational skills, time management and prioritizing skills.
Savings Fund (Does not apply to all plants)
Insurance of major medical expenses
Work Sponsorship assistance for qualified candidates
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.