Tool and Die Maker
- # of Openings
- Tool and Die
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Tool and Die Maker will be responsible for working under minimal supervision, laying out, constructing and repairing shop tools, gauges, fixtures, jigs and dies per blueprints, drawings and /or verbal instructions for use within the plant.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications of tools, dies, prototypes or models
- Prepare templates and sketches, and determine work processes
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and set up machine tools
- Position, secure, measure and work metal stock or castings to lay out for machining
- Set up, operate and maintain a variety of conventional and Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machine tools to cut, turn, mill, plane, drill, bore, grind or otherwise shape work piece to prescribed dimensions and finish
- Verify machined parts for conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments such as Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM), vernier callipers, micrometers, and electronic measuring devices
- Fit and assemble or disassemble parts using hand tools
- Test completed tools, dies, jigs or fixtures for proper operation
- May program CNC machine tools
- Operates machines such as lathes, drill presses, punch presses, shapers and grinders to fabricate dies, tools, jigs and fixtures.
- Repairs and reworks dies, tools, jigs, etc., per blueprints/engineering drawings/sketches/verbal instructions.
- May construct components and parts to close tolerances that may have nonstandard or unusual shapes.
- May assist in the construction and rebuilding of machines used in production.
- Cleans, checks and lubricates machines to maintain proper operation.
- May heat treat small parts to ensure conformity to specifications.
- Actively participates in the Quality Improvement System.
- Assist Tool and Die Maker A and Tool and Die Maker B when required
- Performs other duties as required.
- Certificate of Qualification for Tool and Die Maker
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment
- Experience with routine maintenance operations
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to work well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Computer literate
- Ability to select proper material, heat treat and/or process for tooling requirements.
- Be a part of and promote team atmosphere.
- Be able to operate all Tool Room equipment (equipment that is not computer controlled – milling machine, lathe, grinders, radial drill, drill presss, honing machine, band aw, cut off saw, crane, shadowgraph, hydraulic press, pedestal grinder and belt sander).
- Be able to operate Tool Room equipment as requested.
- Must be able to communicate with all levels of Operations.
- Must be able to maintain and improve dies with direction/supervision.
- Must be able to troubleshoot dies in make adjustments with supervision – Should be able to describe the function of each die station.
- Must be organized, complete tasks efficiently and timely.
- Must have ability to read part drawings and blue prints.
- Must have ability to work to close tolerances.
- Must have good knowledge of dies to communicate effectively.
- Must have some knowledge of progressive and transfer tooling.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.
Job Reference #: 3613