Tool & Die Maker
- # of Openings
- Tool and Die
- Flex-N-Gate Urbana, LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
Fabricates and repairs metalworking dies, cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges and machinists’ hand tools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examines form and texture of stamped metal parts to detect imperfections on Class A surface finish
- Dismantles dies to gain access to and repair die components
- Starts metal stamping presses (progressive, robotic transfer lines, blanking presses) to test their performance
- Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models or descriptions and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate metal parts
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations
- Measures, marks and scribes metal stock for machining
- Lifts dies and machined parts with overhead cranes
- Smooths flat and contoured die surfaces with power grinders
- Fits and assembles metal parts together into assemblies
- Verifies dimensions, alignments and clearances
- Heat treats metal tools or parts
- Connects wiring and hydraulic lines to install electrical and hydraulic components of die equipment
- Examines standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part
- Develops specifications from general description for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product
- Sets up and operates machine tools (i.e. lathes, milling machine, shaper, grinder) to machine parts and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Has general awareness of safety requirements and regulations
- Trained on department work instructions and easily identifies location of same
- Understands the requirement and use of Personal Protective Equipment. Has general awareness and knowledge of Quality Polish (TS16949) and Environmental Standards (ISO 14001) and how they affect the department
- Must adhere to 5S / Good Housekeeping Habits
- Must have good attendance and solid safety record
- All other duties as assigned
JOB PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- General work area (0-68in.) / Mill and drill work (41-52 in.)
- Tools & Equipment: Crane, small hand-held control (3 lbs.), finger button / Crane chains (25 lbs.) (10-68 in.); release hook (18 lbs.) force / Moving large cart with several nitrogen containers up to (50 lbs.) force/ Moving small nitrogen container up to (15 lbs.) force / Die Truck/ Die truck chains (10 lbs.) from (47 in.) to varied
- Must be able to use the crane chains (25 lbs.) (10-68 in.); release hook (18 lbs.) force; and rake (13 lbs.); Controls (40 in.); Computer controls and screen (37-60 in.); hand wrench (4 lbs.), (40+ lbs.) force to loosen/tighten
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this position: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Must have seven years metal stamping experience
- Must be able to communicate in English
- Must be willing to work 2nd shift
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.