Tool & Die Maker
- # of Openings
- Tool and Die
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Tool and Die Maker will be responsible for working under minimal supervision, laying out, constructing and repairing shop tools, gauges, fixtures, jigs and dies per blueprints, drawings and /or verbal instructions for use within the plant.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications of tools, dies, prototypes or models
- Prepare templates and sketches, and determine work processes
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and set up machine tools
- Position, secure, measure and work metal stock or castings to lay out for machining
- Set up, operate and maintain a variety of conventional and Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machine tools to cut, turn, mill, plane, drill, bore, grind or otherwise shape work piece to prescribed dimensions and finish
- Verify machined parts for conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments such as Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM), vernier callipers, micrometers, and electronic measuring devices
- Fit and assemble or disassemble parts using hand tools
- Test completed tools, dies, jigs or fixtures for proper operation
- May program CNC machine tools
- Operates machines such as lathes, drill presses, punch presses, shapers and grinders to fabricate dies, tools, jigs and fixtures.
- Repairs and reworks dies, tools, jigs, etc., per blueprints/engineering drawings/sketches/verbal instructions.
- May construct components and parts to close tolerances that may have nonstandard or unusual shapes.
- May assist in the construction and rebuilding of machines used in production.
- Cleans, checks and lubricates machines to maintain proper operation.
- May heat treat small parts to ensure conformity to specifications.
- Actively participates in the Quality Improvement System.
- Performs other duties as required
- High School Diploma
- Certificate of Qualification for Tool and Die Maker
- 3 years working experience in Tool and Die making
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment
- Experience with routine maintenance operations
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to work well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Computer literate
- Ability to maintain and improve dies.
- Able to train others.
- Be able to operate all Tool Room equipment (equipment that is not computer controlled – milling machine, lathe, grinders, radial drill, drill press, honing machine, band aw, cut off saw, crane, shadowgraph, hydraulic press, pedestal grinder and belt sander).
- Be part of and promote team atmosphere.
- Complete tasks efficiently and timely.
- describe the function of each die station
- determine between moving forms, trim line or holes
- determine if the correct pressure is being used for forming or stripping
- determine if the part is being held up in any of the stations and how
- determine if the station in the die is adequately locating the strip
- explain all die heights relative to shut height
- how does coil/material thickness affect the part
- is die protection set correctly
- is the assembly process understood, what part features affect assembly?
- is the feeder height set correctly
- know what benefit a strip is when servicing a die.
- Must be able to communicate with all levels of Operations.
- Must be able to improve self, others and current process.
- Must be able to troubleshoot dies in presses, and on the bench and make adjustments without supervision.
- Must be able to work efficiently and timely, work effectively best practices/ownership
- Must have a good understanding of presses and how they affect die performance and part quality
- Must have ability to read part drawings and blue prints.
- Must understand part quality requirements and process (assembly) requirements – Fit and Form Function
- Must work without supervision.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives.
- understanding the affect of the coil straightener
- what affect does the ram adjust have
- what can happen if the coil is set with an up curl or down curl
- what is pilot release
- what is the affect on a die if the pilot release is set incorrectly
- what is the affect to the final assembly/fixture check?
- what to look for to transfer parts successfully
- where should the progression/feed window be set.
- would you know to check for slugs on the die parallels or bolster.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.