- # of Openings
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 13th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Product Engineer reports to the Product Engineering Manager. He/She must have the ability to manage multiple projects/tasks from the concept to production and during the production life of the product.
- Prepare engineering drawings, schematics and/or prototypes based upon pre-defined product requirements.
- Analyse current product offerings to determine ways to improve quality, increase functionality, maintain aesthetic appeal and reduce cost of production.
- Consider environmental/social impact of product design, manufacture and disposal.
- Analyse and reverse-engineer competitor product offerings.
- Identify key product strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop solutions to product weaknesses.
- Test physical and computerized drawings and prototypes for functionality, reliability and ease of manufacture.
- Assist the product development team with keeping development on schedule.
- Ensure all products meet or exceed applicable safety standards.
- Research components, part suppliers and materials for suitability, durability and cost-effectiveness.
- Prepare detailed product development reports at each stage of the development process.
- Liaise with sales and manufacturing departments to ensure that product specifications align with corporate strategy and competitive goals.
- Respond to product development/functionality inquiries.
- Assist with the development of detailed product manufacturing instructions, schematic drawings and training materials for manufacturing, sales and use of products.
- Oversee the testing and analysis of materials.
- Stay current with industry trends as well as product development and sales methodologies.
- Assist the sales and marketing staff with understanding the functionality and benefits of products.
- Observe product related policies and procedures.
- Assist the product development team with keeping within product development budgets.
- Observe key product development cycles.
- Troubleshoot product malfunctions/failures to prevent future concerns.
- Maintain accurate product development records.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years' experience
- Good analytical capabilities
- Mechanically inclined
- Problem solving and decision making
- Ability to work with minimal supervison
- Ability to travel to USA and international destinations
- Cando attitude
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to complete VA/VE and Product R&D activities
- Practies good customer service
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.
Job Reference #: 5281