Process Engineering Technologist- Coop Student
- # of Openings
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Process Engineer Student will take assist with all design of processes and assembly activities within his/her given brief. The ideal candidate is expected to learn how to and assist in the identification of where processes can be adapted and optimized to ensure cost effectiveness. Throughout the design process, the Process Engineer Student will learn how to verify practices for efficiency and accuracy in order to implement processes that are safe and improve quality, with the hope to be able to identify the same in the future. The Process Engineer Student must possess the aptitude in order to drive the requirements into the development and continuous improvement of products and processes. Specifically, the Process Engineer Student's will learn, including but not exclusive to, the development of an in-depth knowledge of our supply base; strengths and weaknesses of internal procedures and business processes; strengths and weaknesses of equipment; and the strengths and weaknesses of key personnel who contribute to the quality of the products and services offered by the organization
- Establish the knowledge of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA / Control Plan) creation and updates (with supplier participation).
- Assist in the creation of assembly/process flow charts or supervision of supplier assembly flow charts creation for manufacturing or rework activities.
- Assist in the creation of Work Instructions or supervision of supplier Work Instruction creation for manufacturing or rework activities.
- Assist in the creation of Control Plans or supervision of supplier Control Plan creation for manufacturing or rework activities.
- Ensuring that all assembly processes operate within lean manufacturing principles (Value Stream Mapping, Five S, Kanban, and poka-yoke).
- Identification of manufacturing process improvements to existing process at CM and tiered supplier base to include a cost benefit analysis to allow senior evaluation and approval.
- Supporting our Quality department in the qualification and selection of new suppliers by inputting a thorough evaluation of the suppliers' manufacturing capabilities, when able.
- Input of manufacturing (tooling, Assembly and Manufacturing Test equipment) estimates.
- Conduct workflow analysis and make recommendations for improvement in material handling and shop layout.
- Establish and maintain work standards for product costing and productivity measurement.
- Establish the ability to create Engineering Change Notices (ECN) as related to manufacturing process improvements.
- Enrolled in Community College in Engineering Technology; or
- Enrolled in University Degree in Engineering
- Project Management skills and experience, if no full-time work experience
- Knowledge of PFMEA and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to produce succinct reports/presentations to communicate status of assigned projects/tasks.
- A tenacious personality that will not let an issue be left unresolved.
- Interest in developing technical skills through both internal and external training.
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques.
- Conviction to improve personally and support continuous improvement in the department and company as a whole.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience in design for assembly and manufacturing
- Knowledge of Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention
- Effective working skills of MS Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong CAD skills
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.
Job Reference #: 4547