PHP Software Developer
- # of Openings
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
Flex-N-Gate is seeking a full time, full stack PHP software developer to join our in-house software development team. We develop enterprise level software solutions for multiple departments within FNG. These systems include our Manufacturing Execution System (MES) and Program Lifecycle Management (PLM).
We are a small, tight-knit development team, working to solve our company’s biggest software problems. The work is impactful and rewarding, and we encourage ownership and contribution from all team members. The team is passionate about developing high quality software, with a great user experience, using the latest technologies.
Flex-N-Gate provides many opportunities to continue learning and improve your skills, including online courses, conferences (on hold currently) and tuition reimbursement.
Our software is written using a mix of PHP / Laravel, MySQL on the backend, and a Vue.js on the frontend. Our systems utilize modern tools, including git, webpack, ES6, SASS, Bootstrap, composer, npm, CI, etc.
This position is remote currently, with an eventual return to one of our offices in Sterling Heights, MI (US applicants) or Lakeshore, Ontario (Canadian applicants).
- Develop software used internally to facilitate an array of business processes across many departments.
- Maintain existing software systems, including bug fixes, small enhancements, etc.
Required Skills & Experience
- Web development, 3+ years of experience.
- PHP Framework experience, such as Laravel or Symphony including:
- Framework concepts, routing, service providers, etc.
- ORM and/or Active Record, such as Eloquent
- HTML templating, such as Blade, Smarty, Handlebars, Mustache, etc.
- Frontend framework experience, such as Vue.js, React or Angular.
- MySQL or MSSQL experience, SQL or through ORM/Active Record.
- Software development life cycle.
- Strong problem solving skills and a keen attention to detail.
- Code debugging skills and problem solving with minimal guidance.
- Jira, Trello, or similar project management tools.
- Post-secondary education in computer programming or many years of experience.
- Works well in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Good listening, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of the automotive or other manufacturing industry.
- Bachelor of Science.
- Version control software, preferably Git.
- CSS Pre-compilers, Less or SASS.
- Continuous integration for code style and testing.
- Composer and npm.
- Bootstrap, Tailwind CSS, Foundation or equivalent CSS framework.
- Web services, SOAP and/or RESTful.
- User experience / interface skills.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.