- # of Openings
- Tool and Die
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Machinist is responsible for creating quality parts produced on various machines such as, but not limited to, lathes and milling machines and general shop equipment according to company plans, blueprints, and other diagrams. Responsibilities will include reading and blueprints and drawings to determine production processes and requirements and inspection of quality parts for conformance to requirements. The Machinist will detect equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjust machines, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to insure quality of production, and report all machine malfunctions to their immediate supervisor. He or she will assist other Machinist's when required. This position will require a certification of qualification for Machinist. Willing to train the right candidate
- Understand drawings, blueprints, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations, tools to be used, and materials for the job and setup requirements.
- Set up machining equipment utilized by the organization in order to ensure equipment operations at accepted standards for the type of tooling being used.
- Provide verification of dimensions of machined parts using precision measuring instruments.
- Fit and assemble machine components and parts to industry standards.
- Ensure work piece dimensions are correct and to established tolerance criteria.
- Measure, examine and test completed parts, identifying defects and ensuring conformance to specifications and blueprints.
- Perform preventative maintenance as required.
- Measure and mark dimensions and reference points on material or work pieces as a guide for subsequent machining
- Detect equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjust machine, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to insure quality of production. Report all machine malfunctions to immediate supervisor.
- Communicate with supervisor, engineers, production control, quality and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and work area clean and orderly and perform basic preventative maintenance functions on equipment.
- Select proper material, heat treat and/or process for tooling requirements
- Operate Tool Room equipment as required.
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Certificate of Qualification for Machinist
- 1+ years work experience in a related position
- Knowledge and application of precision measuring instruments and the application of such instruments. Instruments should include but not limited to calipers, ID and OD micrometers, depth gages, indicators and scales
- Knowledge of tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts and other accessories used on various machines
- Knowledge of manual lathes, CNC milling machings, and Surface grinders
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions
- Must be adaptable to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Must possess basic math skills to include but not limited to adding, subtracting, multiplication, division, geometry and algebra for the purpose calculating material fabrication
- Ability to detect, isolate, and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and equipment
- Able to fabricate new parts to replace defective parts during machine setup, maintenance, or overhaul
- Demonstrated aptitude in reading blueprints, diagrams, schematics, part drawings, manuals, and specifications
- Accurate and highly analytical
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude with the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Knowledge of heat treat and/or process for tooling requirements.
- Be able to operate Tool Room equipment as required.
- Be part of and promote team atmosphere.
- Complete task efficiently and timely
- Knowledge of Metallurgy (material selection and heat treating)
- Must be able to communicate with all levels of Operations
- Must be able to improve self, others and current process
- Must have ability to work to close tolerances
- Must work with minimum supervision
- Basic knowledge and understanding of die components would be an asset
- Support continuous improvement initiatives
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.