- # of Openings
- Tool and Die
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
The Machinist is responsible for creating quality parts produced on various machines such as, but not limited to, lathes and milling machines and general shop equipment according to company plans, blueprints, and other diagrams. Responsibilities will include reading and interpreting blueprints and manuals to determine production processes and requirements and inspection of quality parts for conformance to requirements. The Machinist will detect equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjust machines, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to insure quality of production, and report all machine malfunctions to their immediate supervisor.
- Study and interpret drawings, blueprints, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations, tools to be used, and materials for the job and setup requirements.
- Set up machining equipment utilized by the organization in order to ensure equipment operations at accepted standards for the type of tooling being used.
- Provide verification of dimensions of machined parts using precision measuring instruments.
- Fit and assemble machine components and parts to industry standards.
- Ensure work piece dimensions are correct and to established tolerance criteria.
- Measure, examine and test completed parts, identifying defects and ensuring conformance to specifications and blueprints.
- Set up and program as necessary CNC machinery.
- Perform preventative maintenance as required.
- Measure and mark dimensions and reference points on material or work pieces as a guide for subsequent machining.
- Detect equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjust machine, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to insure quality of production. Report all machine malfunctions to immediate supervisor.
- Communicate with supervisor, engineers, production control, quality and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and work area clean and orderly and perform basic preventative maintenance functions on equipment.
- Within the scope of the job requirements, will be required to adhere and comply with provincial and federal law, the Company ISO Quality Program and procedures, Company policies and Safety and Environmental Regulations.
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces.
- Set up, operate and maintain a variety of machine tools including computer numerically controlled (CNC) tools to perform precision, non-repetitive machining operations such as sawing, turning, milling, boring, planning, drilling, precision grinding and other operations.
- Fit and assemble machined metal parts and subassemblies using hand and power tools.
- Verify dimensions of products for accuracy and conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments.
- Maintain, repair and calibrate precision measuring instruments such as dial indicators, fixed gauges, height gauges and other measuring devices.
- Maintain inspection records and complete inspection reports.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of industry standards and practices.
- Select proper material, heat treat and/or process for tooling requirements.
- Write simple and basic programs for CNC applications.
- When needed, operate different types of tools
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Certificate of Qualification for Machinist
- 2+ years work experience in a related position
- Intermediate knowledge and application of precision measuring instruments and the application of such instruments. Instruments should include but not limited to calipers, ID and OD micrometers, depth gages, indicators and scales
- Intermediate knowledge of tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts and other accessories used on various machines
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions
- Must be able to communicate (both written and oral) as it relates to the job.
- Must be adaptable to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Must possess basic math skills to include but not limited to adding, subtracting, multiplication, division, geometry and algebra for the purpose calculating material fabrication
- Ability to detect, isolate, and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and equipment
- Able to fabricate new parts to replace defective parts during machine setup, maintenance, or overhaul
- Demonstrated aptitude in reading and interpreting blueprints, diagrams, schematics, drawings, manuals, and specifications
- Accurate and highly analytical
- Experience in supervising and mentoring apprentices
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude with the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to select proper material, heat treat and/or process for tooling requirements
- Ability to write simple and basic programs for CNC applications
- Able to operate all Tool Room equipment (equipment that is not computer controlled – milling machine, lathe, grinders, radial drill, drill press, honing machine, band aw, cut off saw, crane, shadowgraph, hydraulic press, pedestal grinder and belt sander)
- Be part of and promote team atmosphere
- Complete tasks efficiently and timely
- Knowledge of Metallurgy (material selection and heat treating)
- Knowledge of Welding and ability to perform different types
- Must be able to communicate with all levels of Operations
- Must be able to improve self, others and current process
- Must have ability to work to close tolerances
- Must work without supervision.
- Should have basic knowledge and understanding of die components
- Support continuous improvement initiatives
- Able to train others
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance
• RRSP retirement savings plan
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA.