HR Assistant Manager
- # of Openings
- Human Resources
- Ventra Sandusky, LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
Ventra Sandusky is looking for a versatile, accomplished HR Supervisor who is employee oriented and results focused. We are wanting to add a true generalist to our HR group that will bring unique HR experiences and perspectives to the team as well as provide key leadership in our labor relations process.
This is a great opportunity to take on a true Assistant Manager role in which you will take initiative to plan, manage, and successfully execute day-to-day Labor Relations activities while providing HR support to the 1800+ represented employees at the Sandusky site. Serves as immediate resource for actions and interpretation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), provides assistance and advice to supervisors and managers in executing work via the CBA, and builds positive rapport with union representatives and represented employees to foster a collegial and collaborative working environment.
60% Labor Relations and CBA Administration
- Work collaboratively with site leadership to align labor agreements with the philosophy of the overall company labor strategy.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship between union and management to create a positive environment and culture.
- Responsible for the consistent administration interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement(s) for Sandusky site, reviews disciplinary cases and make recommendations.
- Responsible to represent the Company in all aspects of the grievance procedure including investigation of the complaint, coordinating meetings between parties, and resolution and closure.
- Conducts instructional sessions for supervisory personnel regarding contract interpretation and compliance with company policies
- Prepare and maintain reporting for all actions taken for grievances, arbitration and mediation cases, and related labor relations activities
- Prepares for and participates in contract negotiations.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of briefs for arbitration cases; may conduct presentations at hearings
40% HR Body of Knowledge
- Implement HR programs, policies, practices and tools locally, including performance management, Goals and Objectives, Development Planning, Change Management, Corrective Action, Relocation, etc.
- Advocate for employees by resolving conflict and seeking win-win solutions, promoting positive and effective associate relations and influencing a focus on human issues in the
- Initiate continuous improvement to HR processes to eliminate waste and raise service levels, including process documentation, workflow optimization, reassessing the value of work tasks
- Advise managers and first level supervisors regarding managing employees
- Address employee concerns / issues / investigations in a timely manner
Knowledge and Experience:
- 3-6 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment
- Of which, 2-4 years or more experience with hands-on labor relations/union activities at a manufacturing site
- Preferably working with the UAW or other industrial union.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations or a related discipline.
- Preferred - Master’s Degree in Labor Relations, Industrial Relations, or related field.
- Knowledge of OH state and federal labor laws especially the NLRA, preferred.
- Mastery and proficiency with the HR body of knowledge
- Demonstrated experience with delivering HR process improvement actions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
Behaviors and Capabilities:
- Ability to guide and influence all levels
- Demonstrated conflict management skills
- Capable of managing competing priorities
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organization skills
- Demonstrated leadership in behaviors combined with outstanding interpersonal, teambuilding, and verbal/written communication skills
- Capable of making tactical decisions that result in positive outcomes
- Able to build solid business case to influence union stewards toward actions and decisions at early stages of grievance process.
- Able to coach managers/leaders towards positive employee/labor relations
- Able to take a proactive position on workplace issues to work toward swift and balanced resolution.
- Able to act with autonomy to make relevant decisions guided by HR policy and practice.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
Job Reference #: 4851