Health and Safety Manager
- # of Openings
- Human Resources
- Flex-N-Gate Detroit, LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
Health & Safety Manager develops, administers, and implements companywide occupational safety programs, and serves as the coordinator for the occupational safety programs within one or more divisions and/or departments. The Health & Safety Manager plans, designs, develops, implements, and evaluates departmental occupational safety programs within one or more divisions.
- The incumbent is responsible for the awareness, understanding, specific responsibilities and management of the Environmental Management System as stated in the EMS Policy CEP.005.
- Establishes and maintains environment, health and safety objectives, targets, legal, management programs and control procedures to ensure compliance with the legislation;
- Stays current with all legislated safety training;
- Develops, reviews, implements, and maintains required Environment and Health and Safety policies and procedures by managing them to meet requirements;
- Drives health and safety by motivating employees to promote awareness and provide leadership on issues of health and safety;
- Fosters new ideas to improve the safety program as well as reduce the environmental footprint of the facility;
- Reduces or eliminates workplace accidents/incidents;
- Coordinates, develops, issues and controls Environmental Management System documents;
- Conducts weekly and monthly environment, health and safety inspections and measures all aspects of environment, health and safety and audit compliance with the respective programs;
- Promotes a safe working environment by coordinating plant inspections and reporting statistics;
- Evaluates new projects or modifications to existing processes for potential effects to the environment or workers’ health and safety through checklists and reviews work with the project managers and JHSC Union Representative;
- Identifies all environmental aspects relating to facility operations and their associated impacts;
- Secures environmental approval from regulatory agencies for processes and activities regarding certificates of approval and waste class registration;
- Identifies and organizes all required environment, health and safety training to all existing and new employees (as required) to ensure due diligence;
- Arranges, records and maintains records of waste manifests and hazardous waste transfers and coordinates transactions to ensure that all are reconciled and they are performed according to applicable legislation;
- Classifies wastes and determines methods of proper disposal of waste materials according to the Ministry of Environment guidelines;
- Identifies and contracts inspection of storm water and sanitary sewer discharges;
- Identifies, maintains, and updates inventory of hazardous materials through record keeping;
- Submits National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) and Regulation 127 reports to the Ministry of Environment yearly, including calculations for the reports;
- Prepares or contracts annual waste generation reports;
- Identifies the need for environmental and industrial hygiene equipment in the facility and coordinates appropriate consultants and contractors to complete inspection, emissions and testing projects;
- Represents the organization in environmental, health and safety issues to the Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Labour on an occasional basis and communicates externally with other agencies relating to environment, health and safety issues;
- Coordinates ISO14001 implementation and updates environmental management systems requirements;
- Audits, tracks and enforces WHMIS training and workplace practices;
- Reviews and oversees MSDS document maintenance and upkeep;
- Reviews Health, Safety and Environmental Contractor Agreements in accordance with the requirements of the facility;
- Identifies health and safety concerns by surveying operations, occupational conditions, investigating violations and recommending prevention programs;
- Ensures safety concern process as outlined in the Collective Agreement is being complied with;
- Complies with all applicable legislation and regulations by advising management on needed actions;
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications;
- Presents prompt response to WSIB claims, ensuring early safe return to work for claimants;
- Schedules, reviews, and oversees the onsite Emergency Response Team;
- Coordinates monthly JHSC meetings, prepares minutes, and distributes information from JHSC meetings to senior management and members of committee;
- Replenishes first aid room, first aid kits and other medical/safety personal protective equipment as depleted and advised by departmental supervisors and superintendents;
- Manages and retains all PSR s.7 documents as provided by Maintenance and Engineering, and ensures all non-conformances are addressed.
- Lead and/or participate on teams with safety, technical, management, and other team members.
- Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
- Provide direction and/or guidance to less experienced occupational safety personnel.
- Provide training to managers and others on occupational safety issues.
- University Degree in related field or;
- Community College diploma in related field or;
- Ten years safety related work experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Safety certification training (e.g., CRSP, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information, MSDA) is considered a strong asset.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations and workers’ compensation legislation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work effectively alone and prioritize.
- Must be a highly motivated, service and team-oriented individual with an attention to detail.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
Job Reference #: 2563