Health & Safety Manager
- # of Openings
- Health & Safety
- Flex-N-Gate Covington, LLC
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
Health & Safety Manager develops, administers, and implements companywide occupational safety programs, and serves as the coordinator for the occupational safety programs within one or more divisions and/or departments. The Health & Safety Manager plans, designs, develops, implements, and evaluates departmental occupational safety programs within one or more divisions.
- Establishes and maintains health and safety objectives, targets, legal, management programs and control procedures to ensure compliance with the legislation;
- Stays current with all legislated safety training;
- Develops, reviews, implements, and maintains required Health and Safety policies and procedures by managing them to meet requirements;
- Drives health and safety by motivating employees to promote awareness and provide leadership on issues of health and safety;
- Fosters new ideas to improve the safety program as well as reduce the environmental footprint of the facility;
- Reduces or eliminates workplace accidents/incidents;
- Conducts weekly health and safety inspections and measures all aspects of health and safety and audit compliance with the respective programs;
- Promotes a safe working environment by coordinating plant inspections and reporting statistics;
- Evaluates new projects or modifications to existing processes for potential effects to the environment or workers’ health and safety through checklists and reviews work with the project managers and JHSC Union Representative;
- Identifies and organizes all required health and safety training to all existing and new employees (as required) to ensure due diligence;
- Represents the organization in health and safety issues to the Ministry of Labour on an occasional basis and communicates externally with other agencies relating to health and safety issues;
- Reviews Health, Safety Contractor Agreements in accordance with the requirements of the facility;
- Identifies health and safety concerns by surveying operations, occupational conditions, investigating violations and recommending prevention programs;
- Ensures safety concern process as outlined in the Collective Agreement is being complied with;
- Complies with all applicable legislation and regulations by advising management on needed actions;
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications;
- Coordinates monthly JHSC meetings, prepares minutes, and distributes information from JHSC meetings to senior management and members of committee;
- Replenishes first aid room, first aid kits and other medical/safety personal protective equipment as depleted and advised by departmental supervisors and superintendents;
- Lead and/or participate on teams with safety, technical, management, and other team members.
- Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
- Provide direction and/or guidance to less experienced occupational safety personnel.
- Provide training to managers and others on occupational safety issues.
Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office.
Ability to work effectively alone and prioritize.
Must be a highly motivated, service and team-oriented individual with an attention to detail.
Knowledge of concrete formwork, demolition, and heavy civil work is an asset.
Working towards certification, or already certified, under the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations is considered an asset.
Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives are prerequisites.
Strong analytical ability
Supervisory and interpersonal skills are required
Strong working knowledge of Human Resources Information System
Troubleshooting ability is required
Strong decision making and problem solving skills
Demonstrated good internal customer service skills
Proven good presentation skills.
Good presentation skills
Ability to manage multiple projects.
Good computer skills
University Degree in related field or;Community College diploma in related field or; five years safety related work experience in a manufacturing environment.
Safety certification training (e.g., CRSP, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information, and MSDA) is considered a strong asset.
Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations and workers’ compensation legislation.
Strong organizational skills.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 9170