Corporate Packaging Engineer
- # of Openings
- Flex-N-Gate Sterling Heights
Flex-N-Gate is a leading manufacturer and supplier of components for the automotive industry, recently ranked 10th of the 150 Top North American Suppliers in “Automotive News.” A growing and vital company, Flex-N-Gate provides a great opportunity for hard-working and skilled individuals.
Scope of the Position
This position will require a Packaging Engineer to develop and procure packaging for Tier 1 automotive components including: racks, dunnage, returnable containers, and corrugated for U.S. locations. The position will require heavy daily and overnight travel working with our Plants and customer facilities.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of the product to be placed in the container to determine physical characteristics.
- Identifies special handling, customer requirements and protective requirements of the container.
- Present concepts to user plants including work-in-process and finished goods customer plants.
- Procure prototypes to review with customer plants for buy-off.
- Develops analysis reports for program management.
- Determines whether custom tooling is necessary to produce the packaging.
- Acting program manager for the build process.
- Develops the testing methodology to assure the packaging meets the requirements to protect the product in transit.
- From the approved vendor list, recommends which vendors should be quoted.
- Advises plant management on packaging procedures.
- Provides cost estimates for customer RFQ’s.
- Coordinates implementation of packaging for new programs.
- Submits customer packaging forms to the specific customer database and secures approval; coordinates with respective plant for approval as needed.
- Ensures packaging files uploaded to PLM are updated and maintained, and conducts “packaging gates” meetings by the scheduled dates.
- Evaluates the on-going packaging design for existing production parts.
- Technical packaging resource for FNG manufacturing facilities.
- Other duties / responsibilities assigned by management
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill appropriate to accomplish position responsibility.
- Knowledge of CAD and Spinfire
- Minimum 1-4 years experience as Packaging Engineer in automotive manufacturing industry.
- Minimum 1-4 years designing and estimating for customer RFQ.
- Packaging Engineering degree or post-secondary education.
- Knowledge/experience with corrugated packaging, dunnage, racks, toes, returnables preferred.
• Medical, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance; and a flexible spending account
• 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
• Extensive safety training, new hire orientation, continuous learning and development programs and tuition reimbursement
• Paid holidays and vacation time
What do our employees have to say?
“It engages you professionally, and provides learning opportunities.”
“Lots of growth opportunity.”
“The company’s young enough to be exciting, but old enough to be stable.”
Not just a job—a great place to work!
Flex-N-Gate is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
Job Reference #: 4389